Associated Students does not fund any organization whose membership is contingent upon gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, GPA, athletic or mental prowess, an individual’s faith, ideological beliefs, or talent, or any group that places restrictions on membership. This includes groups that use criteria to establish membership, e.g. academic honor societies, team sports, fraternities, sororities, political parties, and religious or musical groups.
However, at its discretion, the Finance and Business Committee may fund activities sponsored by such groups, provided that attendance is open to all UCSB students.
AS funds shall be spent in accordance with Campus Regulations.
No monies allocated to groups, including lock-ins, shall be used for the purpose of loans to individual members of that group or to any other organization(s) with which the group does business.
One-time Exception once per year per organization, Finance and Business Committee may, at its discretion, make an exception to the Associated Students policies by a two-thirds vote of the board. – Even so, no retroactive reimbursements will be approved.
Limitations on Expenditures:
- Travel or Transportation Costs.
- Food expenditures
- Expenses related to off-campus special events (excluding Isla Vista), banquets, picnics, and off-campus social activities.
- Equipment purchases (rentals allowed)
- Awards, trophies, scholarships for individuals, (i.e. gifts cards, etc.)
- Personal items (i.e. costumes or personalized shirts).
- Publicity Bonds.
- OSL registration fee.
- Per diems.
- Expenses relating to students attending conferences outside of UCSB.
- For purchases amounting to over $5,000.00 that are made from Associated Students funds which are made through any vendor, the following requirements shall be met prior to making said purchase or entering into an agreement (verbal or written) to make said purchase:
- Three quotes shall be obtained, each from different vendors, for identical or similar products. All quotes shall include shipping, handling, tax, and any additional expenses.
- The person(s) making said purchase shall justify the uniqueness of the product if itis more expensive than another, yet only slightly different than a similar item. The person(s) making said purchase must provide written proof in the form of a purchase estimate form attached to a requisition to A.S. Administration.
- The purchase estimate form shall also be attached to budget requests for Finance Committee, when the funds being requested are to be applied to a purchase over $5,000.00.
Associated Students has continually demonstrated its role as a campus leader in sustainability standards, and the willingness of students and staff within AS to further educate themselves about how to reduce their environmental impact. ASUCSB will further its role as a campus leader in sustainability through purchasing standards that will lead to a more environmentally friendly and socially conscious Association.
The most sustainable purchase is no purchase at all, and therefore, AS encourages groups to consider if they really need an item or a large number of items. However, these sustainable purchasing guidelines must be followed:
- Absolutely no single-use water bottles may be purchased. Water coolers and 5-gallon jug pumps must be used for event hydration stations.
- All coffee and tea must be certified Fair Trade and certified organic and all bananas and chocolate must be certified Fair Trade.
- All public events with more than 30 attendees that provide food must have vegetarian and vegan options.
- A.S. spaces may not purchase single-use products such as coffee cups or paper plates for daily office
users; daily users should provide or be provided with reusable items.
- Water bottles must be manufactured and printed in the U.S. and must be made of either glass, aluminum, stainless steel, or BPA-free plastic.
- Certified compostable single-use food service products, including plates, bowls, utensils and napkins, must be purchased for events and guests. These items should be purchased from the A.S. supply of compostable goods in order to minimize costs and reduce packaging.
- No polystyrene (Styrofoam) may be purchased or used.
- In order to ensure sweatshop-free purchases, clothing and apparel, reusable bags, water bottles, and promotional pens and pencils must be made in the USA.
Exceptions to this policy should only be made after groups have demonstrated a good faith effort to comply, but doing so would cause great hardship and would inhibit a core function of that group’s mission. Exceptions to this policy may be granted in the following cases:
- When specifically required in a contract with a non-A.S. entity.
- When specifically required in order to comply with health and safety policies.
- During situations out of A.S.’s control (i.e. during out-of-area travel)
- When approved by Finance and Business and/or Senate oversight of minutes.
Fundraising events must be approved by the Office of Student Life (in the case of registered campus organizations) or by the Executive Director, Associated Students (in the case of Associated Students programs/events).
- All financial transactions must be handled through the AS Cashiers and Ticket office.
- Fundraising payments via-app (i.e. Venmo or PayPal) are not allowed.
- All AS Fees used for Fundraising Events must fill out an Event Report.
- No A.S. funds can be used to raise money for your own organization.
- Student Organizations can host philanthropic fundraisers.*
- *However, if your organization is allocated $5,000.00 or more the donation made to the charity must match the amount you received from A.S.
- All revenue generating aspects of the event must be processed through the A.S. Ticket Office.
All travel costs (except for mileage allotments) must be accounted for with original itemized receipts stating exactly what was purchased within one week of returning from travel.
These original receipts must be submitted to the AS Administration office. The traveler should retain one copy of each receipt. Note that if the travel occurs during a vacation period these receipts will be required within the first four (4) days of the next quarter.
All pre-approved funds which were unused must be returned to the A.S. Administration Office within four (4) academic days; if these deadlines are not adhered to, A.S. reserves the right to bill the individual (or organization) responsible.
If the travel costs exceed the amount budgeted, then the individual (or organization) shall be billed for those additional costs. AS will bill the individual’s or organization’s Perm Number through the UCSB BARC office.
AS shall not fund travel for personal, or social related purposes.
An individual may travel by plane, train, bus, or car. If he/she is going to travel by private car, the car must have insurance covering it.
Before the organization can travel by private vehicle, a current certificate of the insurance on the vehicle that shows the limits of the coverage must be on file in the A.S. Administration Office. When using a private vehicle, the organization may requisition for an allotment of $0.505 cents per mile for mileage costs.
Associated Students will pay conference fees, provided that they are reasonable in relation to the number of people attending the conference and to the benefit which attendance at the conference will bring to the AS-funded organization or to Associated Students. A conference announcement or registration form must be included with your completed A.S. Requisition and Travel Request Form, showing a) the conference location, b) the conference dates, c) a detailed outline of conference activities, and d) the total fees for the conference.
Per Diems: Per diems may be granted for travel on Associated Students business at the following current rates per twenty-four (24) hour period: Breakfast $20.00, Lunch $25.00, Dinner $30.00, Lodging (up to) $75.00, Total Per Diem $120.00 per day
Per diems will be modified or withheld if conference fees include meals or lodging, or if designated “high cost” areas are approved by Finance and Business Committee.
There is a $3000 limit for each sports team. Funds can only be used for travel, registrations, and accommodations for national championship games or events.
OSL Groups: No more than $750.00 per year.
A.S. Boards, Committees, Commissions: A BCU’s quarterly budget to spend on sustenance shall be determined based off of the average attendance of all general meetings held in the previous quarter multiplied by the total number of general meetings held in that quarter. The amount of this allocation shall be reported in an entity’s minutes no later than the second (2nd) meeting of that quarter. This policy does not pertain to programs, events, tabling, and one retreat or banquet per quarter.